Writer Michael Mobbs finished his first book Sustainable House at Varuna. During his recent stay at Varuna to work on his next book about food, he spoke to Lis about Eleanor Dark’s visionary architectural design for Varuna and the importance of the food-growing garden she created. Click here or on the image above to listen to the interview with Michael.
Michael is currently working with the City of Sydney to explore viable options for creating sustainable suburbs. Aims are to:
• Reduce energy costs and greenhouse gas emissions
• Cool the suburb (e.g. increasing the tree canopy, using different construction materials in our roads, footways and buildings)
• Introduce more energy efficient street and footway lighting
• Harvest and reuse rainwater
• Establish additional road and verge gardens
• Increase the use of car share
• Provide improved access and safety for pedestrians and cyclists
• Grow more local food and increasing biodiversity.
For those who’d like to have a closer look at Varuna and the gardens, originally designed and built by Eleanor and Dr Eric Dark, Varuna will be holding an Open Day on Saturday 7th May, 2011 from 10am to 3pm with morning tea, book sale, exhibition and tours of the house at 10am, 12 noon and 2pm. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org